
I have missed some boat, it pulls off into the distance with several passengers. No one looks into my eyes, no one cries for the loss of a single passenger left on the dock. I wonder if they know where the boat leads them... They blankly stare as if comforted by the rocking wave motion, they must not know. Children sit, obediently, in starched cloth, ties for business men, long skirts for housewives. They sit and sit, still in nonmotion. The ride is short, small patches of turbulence pock the watery road. The captain stares vacantly, less at ease than the crew and civilians. He commits the crew, bolsters their spirit, not divulging the finality of this sure destination, unknowingly breeding apathy. Each participant on board this vessel plays their part with no faltering, no shifting, no looking back to the shrinking dock. I wonder where they are headed, I wonder if they will get there as the ship reaches the horizon. I stop wondering as the ship jerks over the edge of the earth, forever unseen. I would like to think no one screamed in final, realized horror. I wish I could have heard everyone singing while holding hands, cherishing each and every moment of the journey, drinking in the salt sea air, feeling warmth emanate from burning sun.
They sat quiet in wait until the final moment. Just a sharp intake of breath, the realization that this journey would not end in a destination, that the turbulence would have rocked them in comfort, the sun kissed their forehead, this journey was the destination. The faces on deck should have spoken sweet words, made soft love, kissed away tears. No, starched and pressed, they waited for a beginning while headed for their only end. I could have ridden this boat to the every edge, I, starched and stiff, calm, cold, quiet, impatient for next step. I could have risen, shouting, warning. Instead ,I planned my next day journey, filled every moment to the highest brim, surrounded my person with lithe bodies, fresh scents, open hearts, shouts, live laughter, soft linens and touching. I mourned every passing, silent ship, drank in blank faces and danced twice for each unspent moment.
4 comments:
Nice writing, Ambersta. Wish I had it in me!
Hey, as a freethinker, you might enjoy our podcast! Check it out when you have time. The current one is pretty good. Another Goddamned Podcast.
if not now, when?
Time...it's so valuable, isn't it?
You are a tremendous writer. Especially @ such an early age. I'm impressed. Even moreso than the fact that you listed 50 Cent as one of your favorite musicians.
I am absolutely flattered, thank you.
Post a Comment