Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dear Lover,

Lover,

I'm sorry I haven't called
(here comes the but because)
but if we talk I will hear heat
radiate from your breath,
mirroring it back through densed fog.

I'm sorry that I lay
next to you, not
prodding putty flesh to mold
beneath petting finger padding;
it springs or crawls beneath
my touch, a volted fence.

I'm sorry every time
I have left you too soon.

You should poke to stirring my
alone thoughts
but then you'd wade
in them, a silty pool.

You should shelter me,
behind me,
soaking chill through
dead skin brushing
salt-dry tears off
bloated-muted brow, but

You don't sense
finality
in our meeting and only
skip
surface glass.

I tap,
too water-muted quietly,
on the other side.
I scream,
releasing only air-reserves.
I flail
with kicking-trained gambas and
embrace myself tight.
I sink.

I'm sorry I couldn't sing
my goodbyes, my mouth
crowded choking-full
with the rightest of words,

Your smell will fade like
deepening night-darkness.
I miss you like a train.

-Cohort

No comments: